The history of Polycarbonate


The polycarbonate polymer was discovered almost by chance in 1928, when the researcher E. I. Carothers of the company Du Pont, manufacturer of yarn, began to study polyester resins and aliphatic polycarbonates. He wanted a stable material to make the price of cotton yarn less changeable and to consolidate the availability of cotton on the market.

It was a new, resistant and transparent material. Too advanced for its time, it was therefore momentarily put aside.

In 1952 several scientists became interested in the polycarbonate molecule, they managed to replicate it in the laboratory, but it was a few years before they managed to obtain a final product ready for the market.

In 1959 industrial scale polycarbonate manufacturing started.

At the time society was not yet ready to accept the new, exceptionally strong, non-toxic and transparent polymer, but the opinion of the American public did not delay in showing their approval.

Starting from the 70s through various promotional marketing campaigns, the polycarbonate became steadily well-known and accepted and the designers to whom the polycarbonate molecule was presented became promoters of the innovation by beginning to include it in their work projects.

It became used in the field of medicine, replacing glass, thanks to the ease of sterilising it and the disposable uses of the plastic material. For the same reason, it also easily infiltrated the food and catering sectors.

In Italy the spread of polycarbonate started on a large scale later compared with America.

The first company to make multiwall polycarbonate systems in Italy and in Europe at the end of the 70s was Polyù Italiana, a company founded by the brothers Angelo and Vitale Moretti. Polyù ceased activity at the end of 2009.

With the same aims, after a few years and, more precisely in February of 2006, PolyPiù was born. Founded by Domenico, Cristina and Elisabetta Moretti, and whose board of directors, since 2017 includes also the younger generation of Andrea and Marco Moretti.


Operative HQ: Via A. da Giussano, 15 – 20011 Corbetta (MI), Italy
Registered legal HQ: via Murri, 24 int. 27 – 20013 Magenta (MI), Italy

T. +39 02 9748371 – F. +39 02 97483799

EMAIL: polypiuinfo@polypiu.it

Request a consultation
Request a free consultation without obligation

Contact us

This is a unique website which will require a more modern browser to work!

Please upgrade today!